10.29.2011

easy gluten-free breakfast idea

I greet each new day in a zombie stance - each step of my routine is done with little thought - all process. Maximizing hours with my head on the pillow has inspired a diligent routine that begins with hitting the snooze button exactly twice. 

All this said to illustrate that I am not one to create a leisurely breakfast. It's about speed and nutrition. In the cold months I want something hot and comforting. Good local fruit is limited... so it's time to pull out the Bob's Red Mill hot cereal.

At first I balked at the effort required. It's now so simplified and automated that some mornings I do it in my sleep. The trick is having the ingredients and tools at the ready. My breakfast gear is all stored on one shelf in jars.There are microwave instructions on the bag... but I opt for stove top as it takes the same time and "effort".


1/4 cup brown rice or "GF Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal" mix
3/4 cup water

optional: 
handful walnuts & organic raisins
1/2 tsp brown sugar or maple syrup
cinnamon or ginger or garam masala

cook first two ingredients in a little pot. When thick pour over the other ingredients in a bowl. Stir. Eat while surfing the net or looking for your keys.

This stuff sticks to your ribs and will keep you fueled until lunch. Keep in mind that what makes it stick to your ribs, also makes it stick to the pot - so rinse out right away or pay later! 


EREQ6V9BRVD8

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a fantastic breakfast -- so grateful for bob's red mill GF products -- he's a life saver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum. I haven't tried this one yet - think I'm going to explore ways to incorporate a warm cereal type breakfast now that the cold has set in.

    I just recently posted about breakfast ideas - love the idea of a new one to try!

    ReplyDelete