|chard, like kale, comes in many varieties|
Soup is a food that we whip up based on a few essentials and whatever is available and ideally, organic and in season. This time of year that means greens like chard, kale or collard. Squash and root veggies are also a good bet. Oh, and beans. We eat a lot of beans.
So here is a super simple list of ingredients that make up a healthy and hearty soup. Mix up the variables for variety:
Put this selection of items into the pot in this order:
1) good quality extra virgin olive oil to cover bottom of pot
2) chopped onion and or leeks & garlic, sauteed until clear
3) any combination of chili flakes, thyme, rosemary, parsley...
4) beans (garbanzo, white kidney, cannelini, navy, black...)
5) chopped greens (kale, chard, collard, spinach...)
6) organic/healthy/gf bouillon cube(s)
7) boiled water (kettle makes this easy) to cover ingredients.
8) bring to boil and then turn down to simmer for 20 mins.
|beans make veggie soup more substantial|
|this one has chard, white kidney beans and diced tomatoes|