9.22.2012

coleslaw - a mandolin makes fast work of fine chopping

Simple Red Cabbage Slaw
1/2 red cabbage
2 large carrots
1/4 medium red onion
1/2 cup organic apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup raisins
1tbsp celery seed

Once we get into winter, the local veggies are going to start getting more limited. I've decided that this year I'm going to try my hand and making what's available a little more exciting. I'm pretty chuffed about having another purpose for my new mandolin - which to date has only been used to cut fennel very finely to add to salads. This dish is super easy and was a well received hit of colour at the pot-luck.

Cut the cabbage head into quarters and remove the white core. Use the mandolin to shred the red cabbage. Watch your fingers! Next I cut the carrots using a special blade that makes mini sticks. If you don't have that attachment, simply grate it, and obviously, the cabbage could also be sliced thinly with a knife. I shopped the onion very fine as I don't like chunks of onion.
In a large bowl, combine the sugar and vinegar stirring until dissolved. Add all other ingredients and toss. Let sit for 1 hour in the fridge and serve. Lasts about 3 days, makes an excellent side - and packs well for lunches too!

1 comment:

  1. I certainly do love my mandoline, it makes life a lot easier indeed!

    ReplyDelete