2.28.2012

gluten-free Indian food.... yes please!!

While I have great affection for all things Italian - I have to say the best food in my books when it comes to dining out or ordering in has to be Indian. Don't take my word for it (yep, you still have to check with the kitchen), but there are many delicious dishes that are naturally gluten free providing they are prepared safely.

my candlelit photo is not the best representation!
Rice - most of us will agree we feel pretty confident about rice. Basmati with oil and spices, sometimes vegetables... shake it up and try them all. (Yes Dad, I still pick out the peas). 

Pakora is hands down my favourite dish. They are essentially spicy, fritter appetizers made of chickpea flour, spices and veggies (usually potato, onions, spinach). Make sure that they are not fried with other gluten-ridden items on the menu.

Butter Chicken (chicken in a rich and creamy tomato-style sauce), Aloo Gobi (potatoes and cauliflower), Chana Masala (chickpeas in spicy sauce).... oh my!! (Click on the names which are linked to more information on each dish.)

Ideally, you can find an Indian take-out close to home with an owner that is available to have a chat. Every few times I order I check in on my ingredients intelligence to make sure that dishes continue to be safe. In some places Saag Paneer (Indian cheese with spinach) is made gluten-free, but not everywhere.

Skip the Naan bread, have the Papadum crackers. Finally, I'd suggest that you move slowly, adding new dishes over time. I've been doing this for awhile, and like to explore dishes beyond the "classics" highlighted here. 

I'm getting to know the gentleman who owns the Indian restaurant down the street. Making friends with the people who make your food - feels good. You'll also feel more confident that they will take good care of you!

1 comment:

  1. I love Indian food too, yummo! I agree with getting to know your regular food hangouts as well, the better friends you are the better care they will take of you and your dietary requirements.
    Check out my latest blog post for the little cards I have printed to take to ethnic restaurants to help avoid contamination and confusion :)

    ReplyDelete