4.28.2012

gluten-free dinner for one

rapini with rotini rice pasta and cured black olives
For years I lived alone and quickly learned that the trick to cooking for one, is not to. I cook things that work well over a few meals. Two or three nights of making dinner is all I need to have a few dishes on rotation for lunches and dinners over a week. 

There are lots of foods that work well this way - some obvious ones are chili, soups or lasagna,which all freeze well too. When I make these, I freeze a few portions that I can add into my rotation of meals in future weeks.

Rapini is hands down my favourite vegetable. When Bill is away on road trips, I tend to eat it up to 3 nights a week. A large head of rapini ensures that I get a good dose of greens in a week too. Check out my post HERE on how I cook rapini (which is great on its own!) and toss it with pasta and olives. When it cools I dole up what's left into sandwich bags and take it to work to heat up for lunches.

2 comments:

  1. I'm the same way -- leftovers are wonderful. :) My husband is often on the go during the week, so I end up being the leftover queen. And I'm okay with that. (less work in the morning trying to decide what's for lunch!)

    ReplyDelete